Crafting the City will:
- Design creative projects, events and artworkswhich will enable community participation.
- Develop volunteering opportunitiesfor people to contribute to community wide creative events, installations, exhibitions and artworks.
- Deliver workshops in a variety of locations both fee charging and free for individuals to develop their creative skills with a focus on textiles, drawing, experimental embroidery, crochet fabric painting and printing etc.
- Match people with one another to share skills and develop a community or communities of makers.
- Create links with for example care homes to include those people in the projects. Volunteers going in and running workshops.
- Provide creative resources for the community.
- Build on links with other organisations in the community who can support the work.
The first big community arts projectI am intending to deliver is called Connecting Patterns, Connecting the Dockside and I have already begun work trying to secure funds. The idea behind the new work is that it takes places outin the community. This project is all about the dockside and I have been successful so far in getting funding for The Bristol Crocodile from the Bristol City Council and sponsorship from Stylecraft towards a flock of seagulls. A project to transform the giant buoy next to SS Great Britain into a giant bauble is also underway. A giant tapestry, a huge programme of textiles workshops and more are planned. I've been having lots of meetings with dockside organisations on and off the water – see fundsurfer campaign at the end of this email.
Now I am applying to several funding bodies, setting up a fundraising website and building lots of partnerships and support. If you think your organisation would like to work with me then please do get in contact.
Crafting the City can work with partners to:
- Develop and deliver community arts projects and in particular textile and paper based projects
- Produce work made to a brief
- Develop installations
- Advise on setting up and supporting creative community arts projects
- Run community based workshops and learning opportunities
To support this work I am also going to start going out and about delivering my courses, for example my six week crochet course now happening at Margot May – look out for the advert, the big new embroidery group called THREAD and more. I am hoping that THREAD will grow into a wonderful focus point for people wishing to develop and experiment with their hand stitching skills, I already have some ideas for events and future exhibitions and plan to hold sessions in a variety of locations.
Maisie Cats for Dementia will also continue.
Contact Vicky – Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
If you want to commission me for work can provide space for workshops especially free or very low cost space for the community stuff or just want to help or have a good idea get in touch.
This website is constantly developing and evolving so watch this space for latest updates and exciting new projects!